Chef Mike's Corner
As part of our ongoing effort to promote wellness in the community, Saint Xavier University is pleased to welcome our Executive Chef Michael Smith to the Wellness Web site.
Michael has made himself available to answer questions from the school community involving a variety of food related topics. Everything from identifying healthy foods, how to make good food purchasing decisions, and techniques and tips for proper cooking will be discussed on the site. Feel free to ask Michael whatever you like, and he will post your answers here.
Please feel free to email questions or comments to Chef Mike.
Who is Chef Mike?
- Graduate of DePaul University and the Washburne Culinary Institute
- Senior Executive Chef with Chartwells Dining Services
- 20+ years of food service experience: 4 star restaurants, luxury hotels, private clubs, high-end concessions, sporting and other special event catering
- Committed advocate for Child Nutrition and Healthy Dining in schools; attended First Lady Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign at the White House.
- Involved with Chicago's Purple Asparagus organization, teaching public school students about the benefits of a healthy diet.
- Volunteer with the Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago's Children, working to promote healthy and active lifestyles.
- Supported Almost Home Kids, Mercy Home for Boys and Girls, the Green Family Festival and the Frankfort School District.
- Written and lectured on nutrition, healthy dining choices, menu planning and cooking techniques.