School of Nursing Admission Requirements
Students admitted to the University as pre-clinical nursing majors must comply with the School of Nursing admission requirements in order to be officially admitted to the program.
Requirements for consideration for admission as a freshman nursing major:
- minimum 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative high school GPA
- minimum ACT composite score of 21 (Minimum SAT composite of 1450)
- minimum ACT science subscore of 21
- minimum ACT math subscore of 22
- grade of B or better in high school biology and chemistry courses
- an essay describing why you want to be a nurse, and why you would like to study at Saint Xavier University
For more information, take a look at the undergraduate nursing requirements (PDF).
Requirements for consideration for admission as a transfer nursing major:
- minimum 2.75 cumulative college GPA
- a score of "proficient" on the TEAS V test; only two TEAS V test attempts are allowed
- an essay describing why you want to be a nurse and why you would like to study at Saint Xavier University
- completion of a college biology and college chemistry course (recommended)
- a minimum of 12 credit hours at Saint Xavier University while maintaining a 2.75 GPA may be needed before a student can begin the nursing curriculum
Accelerated BSN Students
Qualified applicants for the Accelerated BSN (A-BSN) option must possess an earned baccalaureate degree from a nationally accredited institution of higher learning with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale which includes all prerequisite coursework. Applicants will also be required to submit:
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- A current resume or brief curriculum vita
- A 300-500 word essay describing reasons for desiring a career change and choosing nursing as a major.
A member of the nursing department will interview each applicant when their application file is complete. Those accepted into the program will be required to participate in a mandatory on-site orientation.
Prerequisite Course Requirements
- Principles of Inorganic Chemistry (4 credits)
- Principles of Organic & Biochemistry (4 credits)
- Human Anatomy with a Lab (4 credits)
- Human Physiology with a Lab (4 credits)
- Microbiology (4 credits)
- Pathophysiology (3 credits)
- Speech Fundamentals (3 credits)
- Principles of Psychology (3 credits)
- Human Development through the Life Cycle (3 credits)
- General Education Math (3 credits)
- Sociology of the Family (3 credits)
- Introduction to the Study of Psychopathology (3 credits)
Please note that a minimum grade of "B" is required in all science prerequisite courses. Biological science courses must be taken within five years of entering the program. All other prerequisite courses must show a grade of "C" or higher. Courses with a grade of "D" will not transfer. All prerequisite coursework must be complete prior to the start of A-BSN coursework in May.
Before beginning clinical courses, students must provide all of the following: current health history, physical examination, complete immunization record, required laboratory reports, 12 panel drug screen, CPR certification, proof of health insurance and an Illinois State Police criminal background check.