The Saint Xavier University Care Team is a cross-divisional team that meets bi-weekly to review student cases related to social, mental health, physical, financial, behavioral and/or a combination of these issues. Through collaboration and the coordination of resources the Care Team seeks to foster academic and personal success for students.
Membership on the Care Team includes staff from the following areas:
- Dean of Students Office
- Public Safety
- Health Center
- Financial Aid
- Residence Life
- Learning Center
- University Ministry
- Academic Affairs
Students can be referred to the Care Team through the following ways:
- Complete the online form. (Allow 1-2 business days for a response.)
- Contact the Dean of Students Office directly at 773-341-5060.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can contact the Care Team?
Anyone – staff, faculty, student or parent – who has a concern about the well-being of an SXU student.
What can be reported to the Care Team?
- Extended absence from class, work or activities by a normally engaged student
- Serious illness of a student or his/her family member; death of a loved one; other personal issues that are affecting a student's academics or ability to function
- Erratic or unusual behavior
- Written work or creative expression with troubling themes
- A conversation that indicates a level of distress in the student
- Any other issue that causes you concern
What can I expect when I submit a report?
- A response in 1-2 business days
- Consultation with appropriate University staff
- Knowledge that your concern will be brought to appropriate members of the team and a plan for follow-up will be created
What if the student needs assistance sooner?
The Care Team is not for emergencies. If there is an immediate threat to a student (either through self-harm or interpersonal violence) or the community, please call Public Safety at 773-298-3911 or call 911. If you believe a student is in emotional distress, you may call the Counseling Center at 773-298-3131.