UMH sponsors or assists with a number of student-focused events and programs that help students engage the Catholic and Mercy dimensions of Saint Xavier University. Among these programs are:
- Mercy Students for Peace and Justice, a student organization that explores social justice issues with SXU students, faculty, and staff, drawing inspiration from the University’s Catholic and Mercy traditions.
- The International Mercy Service Trip to Belize, an annual week-long trip during which students build a house for a needy family, experience another culture, and visit with the long-established Belizean Sisters of Mercy.
- Schmitt Scholars, a leadership development program for recipients of Schmitt Foundation scholarships, conducted collaboratively with the Office for Government, Corporate and Foundation Relations.
- CMHE-sponsored opportunities open to students from all Sister of Mercy colleges and universities have included workshops at the United Nations, with the Justice Office of the Sisters of Mercy in Washington, D.C., at the biennial CMHE Conference, and for programs on various Sister of Mercy campuses.
- FOCUS for incoming freshmen and their parents and the transfer student orientation sessions, at both of which UMH or Mercy Cares staff speak about SXU’s Catholic identity and Mercy heritage.