Student Commencement Speaker
Applications must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday, February 15, 2016.
Student Speaker Guidelines for May 2016 Commencement
Saint Xavier University invites students –- undergraduate and graduate -– to apply to be a commencement speaker. It is a distinguished honor for a student to be selected to present a commencement speech; one that may be included on a resume. Three students will be selected, one for each of the May 2016 ceremonies as follows:
- Graham School of Management, Friday, May 6 at 6:30 p.m.
- College of Arts and Sciences, Saturday, May 7 at 10 a.m.
- School of Education & School of Nursing, Saturday, May 7 at 3 p.m.
Graduating students interested in delivering a student commencement speech must meet these guidelines:
- Attend the ceremony for their college/school
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Good disciplinary standing
- Record of academic achievement, service and campus involvement
Speeches should address the following:
- The transformative power of a SXU education
- Information about your personal development and future outlook
- How your personal experiences as a student shaped your educational journey at SXU and developed a desire for you to want to make a change in the world
- Demonstrate a familiarity with Saint Xavier’s Catholic and Mercy heritage
- Include examples from collegiate life, course work, co-curricular involvement, service, reflection on a Core Value, peer and other relationships developed, etc.
The speech should:
- Utilize sophisticated and inspiring, yet accessible, language
- Appeal to and capture the attention of a broad audience
- Be inclusive of the undergraduate and graduate student experience
- Include creative and appealing techniques such as metaphors, stories, quotes, or humor
- Illuminate the universal experience of being a student
- Be structured around a theme using descriptive examples reflective of the broader student experience at SXU
- Be three to five minutes in length, or approximately 750 to 850 words.
- For the School of Education and School of Nursing ceremony, be mindful that students from both schools attend the same ceremony
A committee of faculty, staff and students will select the student speakers
In order to apply, submit the following to email@example.com by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, February 15:
- Letter of interest that includes contact information (phone and SXU email)
- Draft of speech
- Current resume that includes academic achievements, research, campus involvement and volunteerism
Note: Student speaker semifinalists will be required to present their speeches to the committee prior to the final selection. Selected finalists will be mentored prior to the delivery of the speech at the commencement ceremony.
Questions about the student speaker selection process may be directed to the Office for Student Affairs, L-208, firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-298-3123.