Student Commencement Speaker
Saint Xavier University invites students (undergraduate and graduate) to apply to be the student commencement speaker.
Graduating students interested in delivering the student commencement speech must meet these guidelines:
- Graduating in May 2014 and planning on attending the ceremony
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Good disciplinary standing
- Record of academic achievement, service and campus involvement
Speeches should address the following:
- How have your personal experiences as a student shaped your educational journey at Saint Xavier University? Use examples from your collegiate life, possibly including course work, co-curricular involvement, service, reflection on the Core Values, relationships developed, etc., to illustrate the transformative power of a SXU education.
- The speech should utilize sophisticated and inspiring, yet accessible, language; appeal to and capture the attention of a broad audience; include creative and appealing techniques such metaphors, stories, quotes or humor; illuminate the universal experience of being a student; and be structured around a theme using descriptive examples reflective of the broader student experience at SXU.
In order to apply, submit the following to email@example.com by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, March 17:
- Letter of interest that includes contact information (phone and SXU email)
- Draft of speech
- Current resume that includes academic achievements, research, campus involvement and volunteerism
Note: Student speaker semifinalists will be required to present their speeches to the committee prior to the final selection. The Commencement Ceremonies are on Saturday, May 10, 2014. One undergraduate student speaker will be selected for the undergraduate ceremony (10 a.m.) and one graduate student speaker will be selected for the graduate ceremony (3 p.m.).
Questions about the student speaker selection process may be directed to the Office for Student Affairs, L-208, firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-298-3123.