To be eligible for graduation honors, students must have completed at least fifty (50) graded semester hours at Saint Xavier University and earned a cumulative grade-point average of 3.50 or higher.
- Cum Laude (with honors) denotes a cumulative grade-point average of 3.50.
- Magna Cum Laude (with high honors) denotes a cumulative grade-point average of 3.70.
- Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors) denotes a cumulative grade-point average of 3.90.
The cumulative GPA is based exclusively on credits earned at Saint Xavier University and is the higher of:
- GPA for all credits earned at SXU, or
- Last fifty hours earned prior to graduation.
If the student reaches and exceeds fifty hours in a term, then all courses earned that term are counted in the GPA for the "last fifty hours."
The student is not allowed to pick the courses to equal fifty hours.
Honor cords will be given to eligible graduates on the day of the ceremony, along with their name cards.
Because graduate students must generally maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout their program, graduation honors are recognized for undergraduate degrees only.
Questions pertaining to academic honors should be addressed to Barbara Sutton, email@example.com or 773-298-3504, Office of Records and Registration Services.
Students who are members of academic honorary societies may acquire additional academic regalia (e.g. tassels, pins, cords) through their respective society's faculty sponsor.