Accounting Career Resources
Below you will find career and professional development resources for accounting majors. It is essential that you proactively engage career development as an integral part of your entire SXU experience. It is crucial to start early and integrate meaningful opportunities into your student experience, such as internships, volunteer and leadership opportunities.
Remember that your major is just a starting point and not a prescription for a narrow list of employment opportunities. By immersing yourself in your liberal arts education and gaining experience outside of the classroom, you have the opportunity to develop transferable skill sets highly desired by employers and/or graduate programs. Some of the skills that an accounting major will develop are reading comprehension, critical thinking, speaking, mathematics and complex problem solving. Talk with Career Services to find out how to creatively market your major, skills, and experiences to various opportunities.
- Career Exploration Tools and Resources (Quintessential Careers)
- Illinois Career Information System (Illinois Department of Employment Security)
User ID is Illinois, and the password is careers.
- Career One Stop
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- O*Net Online
- My Majors
- What Can I do With this Major?
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (Resource for scholarships and internships)
- Job Search Intelligence Salary Calculator
- Salary Calculator
Potential Job Titles
- Budget Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Fraud Examiner, Forensic Accountant
- Financial Manager
- Tax Examiner
- CNA Insurance
- Cygan Hayes LTD
- Northern Trust Company Internships
- Friedman & Huey Associates, LLP
- JP Morgan Chase
- Bank of America Internships
- GE Corporate Financial Services
- Accounting Majors (Great resource for internships!)
- Chicago Accounting Firm Directory
- Desmond & Ahern, Ltd.
- Deloitte Internships
- Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Ernst and Young Internships
- Crowe Horwath
- RSM McGladrey Inc.
- Grant Thorton LLP
- Grosvenor Capital Management
- McDonald's Corporation
- McKlein USA
- Metra Rail
- Miller Cooper & Co. LTD.
- Wolf & Co. LLP
Academic Department Information
- The American Accounting Association
- National Society of Accountants
- The Association of Accountants and Financial Professionals in Business
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Government Accounting Standards Board
- National Association of Forensic Accountants
- The Institute of Internal Auditors
- Financial Accounting Standards Board
- National Associations of State Boards of Accountancy