Saint Xavier recognizes outstanding students, faculty
Honorees awarded for their achievements
Chicago (May 7, 2007) – Saint Xavier University recently recognized several of its students and one faculty member in the areas of scholarship and service during the 2006-07 academic year. The following students and faculty received awards for their outstanding achievements at the recent University Awards Ceremony:
• Noelle Hurley, of Orland Park; Christopher Lonergan, of Chicago’s Beverly neighborhood; and Katie Rufa, of Lyons, received the Dean’s Fellowship. It is awarded to students who have completed the first semester of junior coursework, shown resourcefulness in their approach to ideas and questions, and demonstrated an ability to sustain a high level of performance and academic record.
• Rebecca Rosenthal, of Wilmington, received the Hassan and Safia Haddad Peace Award for preparing the best essay conveying how the humanities or sciences promote the pursuit of peace.
• Maritza Paniagua, of Chicago’s East Side, received the Sister Mary Josetta Butler Award. This scholarship is awarded to a senior who demonstrates progress toward the ideal of the liberal education of the Christian person and shows promise to make that education fruitful in a career of service.
• Andrea L. Wydra, of Midlothian, received the Student Laureate of the Lincoln Academy of Illinois for academics and extracurricular activities. The governor of Illinois presents this at a ceremony held in the House of Representatives at the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield.
• Laura Scanlan, of Oak Lawn, received the Outstanding Arts and Sciences Graduate Student Award. She was selected on the basis of outstanding scholarship, service to SXU and the community, and excellent clinical performance.
• Megan A. Murphy, of Chicago Ridge, received the Outstanding Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Student Award for outstanding scholarship and service to SXU and the community.
• John Houk, of Oak Lawn, received the Wall Street Journal Undergraduate Student Award for demonstrating scholarship, leadership and initiative in both the Graham School of Management and community activities.
• Rachael Marusarz, of Alsip, received the J.K. Hwang Outstanding Graduate Student Award for academic excellence and service to the community.
• Jean Rafacz, of Evergreen Park, received the Outstanding School of Nursing Graduate Student Award based on academic achievement and service to the University and community.
• Megan Jeronimus, of Park Forest, received the Outstanding School of Nursing Undergraduate Student Award based on academic achievement and service to the University and community.
• Sean Reynolds, of Evergreen Park, received the Excellence in Writing Undergraduate Award for an outstanding paper written during the current academic year.
• Caroline Sweiss, of Palos Heights, received the Excellence in Writing Graduate Award for an outstanding paper written during the current academic year.
• Katherine Eskridge, of Bolingbrook, received the Saint Catherine Medal from Kappa Gamma Pi for outstanding service to the University and the best record for progressive achievement.
• Erik Janners, D.M.A., director of bands and professor of percussion at Saint Xavier, received the Excellence in Teaching Award, a joint faculty-student award co-sponsored by the Saint Xavier chapter of the American Association of University Professors and Student Government Association.
Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1846, Saint Xavier University was the first Mercy college in the United States and is Chicago’s oldest Catholic university. Serving approximately 5,700 students at its campuses in Chicago, Orland Park and its Loop location, the University offers 35 undergraduate majors; more than 40 graduate program options in arts and sciences, business, education and nursing; and a variety of program options in continuing and professional studies. Recognizing Saint Xavier’s excellence in education, U.S. News and World Report has ranked SXU consistently among the Best Colleges in the Midwest.
Saint Xavier University Media Relations: 773-298-3937
3700 West 103rd Street, Chicago Ill. 60655 * 18230 Orland Parkway, Orland Park, Ill. 60467
online faculty expert guide: www.sxu.edu/relations/faculty_experts.asp