SXU to celebrate 2011 Homecoming with week of events
Alumni come back to give back
Chicago (Sept. 14, 2011) Alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends are invited to Saint Xavier University’s 2011 Homecoming Week celebration beginning Wed., Sept. 21 at the Chicago campus, 3700 W. 103rd St. For more information about homecoming, please contact the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations at (773) 298-3316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wed., Sept. 21
Brown Bag Service Project – 6 p.m., SXU Diner Atrium
Alumni and students will once again come together in the spirit of Mercy to serve our community at the Service Through Action Team Brown Bag Project. All alumni and friends are invited to assist in making brown bag lunches for local shelters and organizations that serve individuals in great need.
Concert on the Quad – 7 p.m., Smith-Morris Quad Patio
SXU students and alumni are welcome to enjoy refreshments and a free concert on the patio!
Thurs., Sept. 22
2011 Academic Distinguished Alumni and Student Leadership Awards Ceremony – 6:30 p.m., Butler Reception Room
A special reception recognizing the achievements of SXU student leaders and the 2011 Academic Distinguished Alumni Awards recipients:
• The School of Education George K. McGuire Award – Joni Thompson, M.A. '92
• The Graham School of Management Distinguished Alumni Award – Anthony Denovellis MBA '06
• The School of Nursing Distinguished Alumni Award – Darcie Brazel RN, MSN '83, '91
• The College of Arts and Sciences Distinguished Alumni Award – Carol A. Keene, Ph.D. '61
• The School for Continuing and Professional Studies Distinguished Alumni Award – John L. Folino Jr., '02, '05
Fri., Sept. 23
2011 All-Alumni Reunion Celebration – 6:30 p.m., Gilhooley's Grande Saloon (3901 W. 103rd St.)
All Alumni and friends are welcome to celebrate with the reunion classes of '71, '76, '81, '86, '91, '96, '01 and '06. Alumni who attend can sign up for a chance to win $10,000 during halftime at the Homecoming football game (restrictions apply). A $20 donation includes food, soft drinks, 2 free drink tickets (cash bar) and live entertainment provided by "Happy Hour" featuring SXU alumna Lily Djurakov '1 (21 and over). A portion of your donation will be donated to support student scholarships.
Sat., Sept. 24
11th Annual Cougar 5k Run/Walk (Register Now) – 9 a.m., Shannon Athletic Center
Join alumni, students, parents and friends of SXU at the 11th Annual Cougar 5K. All participants will receive a SXU t-shirt, free refreshments and a ticket to the Homecoming football game upon request. The course starts and finishes on the SXU campus and runs through the heart of Evergreen Park. The Cougar 5K's proud alumni sponsor is Marty Gallagher '01 of Gallagher Investments. To register, click here, visit www.sxu.edu, keyword: cougar 5k, or call (773) 298-3952.
Alumni Games – times and locations vary
Come home to SXU and relive those glory days of playing ball at SXU Join in the alumni games with former teammates or just come out for the fun. For game times and locations, contact the Department of Athletics at (773) 298-3101.
Men's soccer game: SXU vs. University of Saint Francis – 1:30 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
Alumni/Cougar Club Reception Tailgate Tent – 1:30 to 5:30 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
SXU alumni, parents and members of the SXU Cougar Club are invited to a special pre-game celebration. A $20 donation includes food, beverages (21 and over) and live entertainment by local favorite Matt Ladd. A portion of your donation will be donated to support Cougar Athletics or Student Scholarships
Alumni/Student Video Game Truck – 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
Alumni and students can test their video game prowess against a huge assortment of today's most popular video games. Admission for this event is FREE!
Homecoming Game: SXU vs. Trinity International University – 6 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
Cheer the Cougars to victory over Trinity International University. Receive free tickets to the football game when you stop by the Alumni Hospitality Tent.
Half-time Alumni Field-Goal Kick Challenge
One lucky alumnus or alumna will be selected to take a shot at winning $10,000! (Restrictions apply. Contact the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations for more information.)
Sun., Sept. 25
Alumni Mass – 10 a.m., McDonough Chapel
All are invited to worship in honor of our departed alumni and friends, as well as those men and women in service to our country both here at home and abroad.
2011 National Alumni Association Awards Ceremony and Brunch – 11:30 a.m., Butler Reception Room
Join us in honoring remarkable Saint Xavier graduates at the presentation of the annual National Alumni Association Awards
• Distinguished Alumni Award, Hiram Grau, MBA '03 – This award was established in 1986 to recognize alumni for their personal and professional achievements that reflect the ideals of Saint Xavier University. Recipients of the award exhibit the values of service, leadership, lifelong learning and spirituality.
• Sister Dorothy Marie Peschon '19 Award, John Naisbitt '91 – Named in honor of one of the first graduates of Saint Xavier College for Women, recipients of this award embody the values of the Sisters of Mercy and serve as exemplary volunteers and supporters of the University's endeavors.
• Rita A. Ford '98, Faith in the Future Award, Laura LeCompte '06 – This award is presented to promising alumni who graduated in the past ten years and achieved personal, professional and social accomplishments that reflect the ideals of Saint Xavier University.
Karla Thomas, Executive Director of Media Relations
(773) 298-3937 or email@example.com