SXU celebrates 2010 Homecoming Week
Celebration begins Sept. 27; FEMA Regional Administrator Andrew Velasquez III '02 to be honored
Chicago (Sept. 20, 2010) Alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends are invited to Saint Xavier University’s 2010 Homecoming Week celebration beginning Mon., Sept. 27 at the Chicago campus, 3700 W. 103rd St. For more information about Homecoming Week, please contact the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations at (773) 298-3316.
Monday, September 27
• Staff/Faculty Alumni Continental Breakfast, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., Alumni House
Faculty and staff who are graduates of SXU are invited to enjoy a continental breakfast in the alumni garden.
Wednesday, September 29
• S.T.A.T. – Brown Bag Service Project, 6 p.m., SXU Dining Hall Atrium
Help prepare brown bag lunches for local shelters or donate to the cause. Contact the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations for more information at (773) 298-3316 or email@example.com.
• Academy Seminars – 7:30 p.m., SXU Student Lounge
Learn more about SXU's rich Mercy heritage and hear strange but true tales from the Sisters of Mercy.
Thursday, September 30
• SXU Pep Rally & Concert on the Patio, 6 p.m., Smith Morris Quad
Gather on the patio for refreshments and a free concert by Final Say.
Friday, October 1
• 2010 Academic Distinguished Alumni Awards Ceremony, 6:30 p.m., Butler Reception Room
This ceremony recognizes the achievements of the following recipients of the 2010 Academic Distinguished Alumni Awards:
o Andrew Velasquez III ’02,
Graham School of Management Distinguished Alumni Award
o Monica Ryan DNP, MS, RN, APN, CPN, ’75, ‘87
School of Nursing Distinguished Alumni Award
o Carol Fialkowski ’60
College of Arts and Sciences Distinguished Alumni Award
o Jason Crean ’96, ’01, Yvonne Schmitt ’11
George K. McGuire Award
Saturday, October 2
• 10th Annual Cougar 5K Run/Walk, 9 a.m., Shannon Center
All participants receive a special 10-year anniversary long-sleeved t-shirt, free refreshments and a ticket to the Homecoming football game on request. Registration fee: $25 before Oct. 2, $30 race day
• Professors at the Pits Alumni/Student Picnic, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Smith-Morris Quad
Enjoy a barbecue lunch with SXU faculty, students and alumni for a $5 donation per person.
• SXU Men’s Soccer vs. Judson University, 1:30 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
• Class of ’70 Reunion Reception, 2 p.m., Bishop Quarter Room
• Alumni games, times and dates vary
• Pre-Game Tailgate & Reunion Celebration, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
$10 Admission for Alumni Reunion Tent. Includes Food and Beverages. (21 and older)
• Cougars Football Homecoming Game - Saint Xavier University vs. Taylor University, 6 p.m., Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
Free entrance to the game for all alumni who register at the Alumni Hospitality Tent prior to the game. $5 for adults, $3 for kids.
• Saturday Night Lights Fireworks Display, after the football game, Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field
Sunday, October 3
• Alumni Mass celebrated by Monsignor Michael Boland ’82, 10 a.m., McDonough Chapel
• 2010 Alumni Association Awards Ceremony & Brunch, 11:30 a.m., Butler Reception Room Alumni Association Award Recipients:
o Darrell B. Jackson ’81, Distinguished Alumni Award
o Patricia A. Morris ’83, Sister Dorothy Marie Peschon ’19 Award
o Abby Jambor Anderson ’04, Rita A. Ford ’98, Faith in the Future Award
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Jay Foot, Executive Director of Media Relations
O: (773) 298-3937
C: (773) 617-3632