SXU celebrates 2009 Homecoming and Family Week
Includes Saturday Night Lights Homecoming football game, Cougar 5k Run/Walk and 50th Anniversary of Ludden Speech and Language Clinic
Chicago (Sept. 14, 2009) Alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends are invited to Saint Xavier University’s 2009 Homecoming and Family Week celebration beginning Sept. 21 at the Chicago campus, 3700 W. 103rd St. View additional information about Saint Xavier’s 2009 Homecoming Week for ticket prices or to R.S.V.P. for an event.
Monday, Sept. 21
• Networking 101: Make the SXU Connection, 6:30 p.m., Butler Reception Room. Counseling and Career Services invites Saint Xavier students and alumni to a special program designed to help participants learn and practice effective networking skills.
Wednesday, Sept. 23
• A Celebration of Poetic Expressions, 6:30 p.m., Gilhooley’s Grande Saloon. An open mic forum/reception with live music and local poetic talent.
Thursday, Sept. 24 – Mercy Day
• Liturgy commemorating the traditional Feast of Our Lady of Mercy, noon, McDonough Chapel.
• Commissioning of Campus Leaders, 3:30 p.m., Academy Bell. This annual ceremony celebrates campus leaders who exemplify respect, compassion, integrity and service.
• Dedication of the 49th Street Gateway Arch, 3:50 p.m., Smith-Morris Quad. A ceremony for the new arch at the Chicago campus, which commemorates the alumnae of Saint Xavier’s old campus at 49th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue.
• Golden Graduate Society Tea, 4 p.m., Fourth Floor Board Room. A special afternoon tea for alumnae of Saint Xavier’s 49th Street and Cottage Grove Ave. campus to honor the University’s rich history and exciting future.
• Catholic Colloquium Lecture Series: Bishop Robert F. Morneau, 7 p.m., Butler Reception Room. Auxiliary Bishop of Green Bay Robert F. Morneau will lead a public discourse on the topic “Hungers of the Human Heart: A Catholic Poetic Perspective.” This lecture, which is free and open to the public, reflects on the hunger for meaning, commitment, quality, integration and intimacy.
Friday, Sept. 25
• Academic Distinguished Alumni Awards, 6:30 p.m., Butler Reception Room. A ceremony recognizing the achievements of five Saint Xavier alumni.
Saturday, Sept. 26
• Ninth Annual Cougar 5k Run/Walk, 9 a.m., Shannon Center. Saint Xavier’s annual 5k race begins and ends on campus and travels through Evergreen Park. All participants receive an SXU shirt, refreshments and a ticket to the Homecoming football game upon request.
• Cougar Brunch, 10 a.m., Gilhooley’s Grande Saloon. A post-Cougar 5k brunch.
• Ludden Speech and Language Clinic’s 50th Anniversary Luncheon, noon, Butler Reception Room. A luncheon commemorating the 50th Anniversary of both the Ludden Clinic and the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Guest speaker Catherine Gottfred, Ph.D., CCC/SLP, founder and president of Leap Learning Systems, will discuss the development and direction of the profession.
• Pre-game Family Festival, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Smith-Morris Quad. A tailgate with activities for kids, including inflatables, face painting, games, activities and the Scales & Tales Traveling Zoo. Food and beverage tickets will be available for purchase.
• Class of ’69 Chicago Campus Shuttle Bus Tour, 2 p.m., Mercy Ministry Center. A narrated bus tour of Saint Xavier’s Chicago campus, showcasing its amazing transformations over the years.
• Class of ’69 Reunion Reception, 3 p.m., O’Malley Quad. A 40th reunion celebration for alumni. The reception will include hors d’oeuvres, beer, wine and live entertainment.
• Pre-game Tailgate & Reunion Celebration, 3 to 6 p.m., Deaton Field. All alumni are invited to a celebration with the reunion classes of ’79, ’84, ’89, ’99 and ’04. This year’s celebration includes the Gilhooley’s Alumni Reunion Tent (guests must be 21 and older), bean bag competitions, a caricature artist, live entertainment and food and beverage tickets for purchase.
• Saturday Night Lights Homecoming Football Game, 6 p.m., Deaton Field. Cheer the Cougars to victory over Quincy University. A post-game fireworks display, hosted by the Alumni Association, will follow the game.
Sunday, Sept. 27
• Alumni Mass, 10 a.m., McDonough Chapel.
• Alumni Association Awards Ceremony and brunch, 11:30 a.m., Butler Reception Room. A ceremony honoring three remarkable Saint Xavier graduates.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Executive Director of Media Relations
(773) 298-3937 or email@example.com