SXU to offer additional eco-friendly retail dining options
Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop and Scarlet & Gray’s Café to open soon
Chicago (June 29, 2009) Saint Xavier University will offer two new eco-friendly retail dining options featuring soups, wraps, coffee, pastries and ice cream near its Chicago campus, 3700 W. 103rd St.
Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop and Scarlet & Gray’s Café will be located at 3660 W. 111th St., at the corner of 111th Street and S. Lawndale Avenue.
“We are pleased to expand Saint Xavier’s dining options for our students, faculty and staff, especially with these environmentally friendly stores,” said President Judith A. Dwyer, Ph.D.
Ben & Jerry’s Scoop Shop will offer outdoor patio seating and a wide variety of frozen treats and desserts, including:
• Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, low-fat ice cream, sorbet and no-sugar-added options in cups and cones, including homemade waffle cones.
• Sundaes, shakes and smoothies.
• Ben & Jerry’s chocolates and ice cream cakes
The store will use eco-friendly construction and materials, following the Energy Conservation Code.
Scarlet & Gray’s will feature free Wi-Fi and use eco-friendly cups and paper goods. Menu offerings will include:
• Seattle’s Best coffee, with a full menu of lattes, mochas, cappuccinos, espressos and a selection of drip coffees sourced through socially responsible buying guidelines. Tazo teas, a member of the Ethical Tea Partnership, also will be available.
• Au Bon Pain soups.
• Muffins, bagels and sweet pastries from Labriola Bakery in Alsip.
• Chopped and Wrapped, offering crisp, made-to-order salads and wraps with fresh vegetables, antibiotic-free chicken and local and organic selections whenever possible.
Online ordering will be available, with delivery to all locations affiliated with the 103rd Street campus.
Student employment opportunities will be available.