Saint Xavier's seventy-four acre Chicago campus is nestled in a residential neighborhood in southwest Chicago, containing several higher education classroom buildings including the Warde Academic Center, Graham School of Management, Driehaus Center and the Andrew Conference Center. Surrounded by beautiful grounds and outdoor spaces, the Warde Academic Center, at 290,000 square feet, is the largest building on campus and contains numerous classrooms, science and computer laboratories, the refurbished McGuire Hall auditorium, the renovated Robert and Mary Rita Murphy Stump Library, wireless Internet Diner and Coffee Cats, a coffee kiosk.
The Urso Outdoor Sports Center is adjacent to the recently expanded Bruce R. Deaton Memorial Field, where Cougar football and soccer teams play. An artificial turf surface was installed in the summer of 2006. The 85,000-square-foot, Shannon Center is home to the Athletic Department, SXU Campus Bookstore, Cougar Fuel, a 6,000 square-foot fitness center, a second-floor, 1/8th-mile jogging track, one racquetball court, a large intramural practice gym and Bob Hallberg Court where volleyball and basketball teams play. Every year, the University holds the commencement ceremonies in the Shannon Center.
The WXAV radio station and The Xavierite newspaper are operated out of the Campus Media Center. A softball field, home to the Cougars softball team, was completed in March 2002. Richard R. Ferrell Memorial Field, on the northwest side of campus, is home to Cougar baseball. Clinical facilities for Speech and Learning Disabilities are based on the ground floor of Pacelli Hall. The University Health Center is in a modular building system specifically designed for their needs across from the Campus Media Center. The 210-seat McDonough Chapel and Mercy Ministry Center opened in August 2000.
Besides two traditional residence halls for freshmen, Pacelli and Regina, the University has a six-unit, two-bedroom apartment building west of the campus. A nearby off-campus building was renovated and opened in 2009 as a Visual Arts Center for students. The small lake, Lake Marion, surrounded by a lighted walking trail is in the center of the campus and provides a scenic backdrop to many campus activities. There are three "apartment-style" residence halls: Rubloff, Morris and McCarthy, which are centered on the expansive Schmitt Quadrangle. McCarthy and Morris halls have 50 apartments, with the majority of the units consisting of two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and pantry. Morris Hall has a Starbucks café inside with wireless Internet capability. Completed in August 2006 was Rubloff Hall, the first Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) residence hall to be built for higher education in Illinois. This "green" building is five stories with 26 apartments, offices for Residence Life and two expansive lounge or conference room spaces. This state-of-the-art, environmentally sensitive complex received the U.S. Green Building Council LEED Gold certification on April 12, 2007.
The University has 14 parking lots spread along the border of the campus. The newest parking lot, Lot 6, north of McCarthy Hall is an overnight, 98-stall, pervious-pavers parking facility completed in August 2007 and is keeping with the Universities commitment to environmental sensitivity. A campus shuttle services also operates on and off campus for convenience and ease of transportation.
The University was gifted, in August 2004 a tract of property, the Driehaus Center, which includes a traditional Irish Pub and former storefronts with parking situated one block west of the Graham School of Management. The red-bricked Gilhooley's Grande Saloon, a Chicago Southside pub and eatery, consists of architectural artifacts of cut glass, stained glass, oak fretwork, gas lamps and original poster artworks from the American Poster Golden Age between 1890 and 1910. The storefronts have been converted into 17,000 square feet of space for 40 faculty offices, two 48-seat smart classrooms, a Copy Cats print services facility and clerical and lounge spaces.