School of Education Requirements, Effective Fall 2007
Benchmark I: Candidate Status
Candidate status is achieved by being approved for admission to the School of Education (SOE). Admission for candidate status is required of all undergraduate students majoring in a program in the School of Education or the College of Arts and Sciences that leads to teacher certification. Admission is based on a student's knowledge, skills and dispositions. Admission must be approved by the Office of Teacher Education and Certification before, and as a prerequisite to, enrollment in level II coursework, including all teaching methodology courses.
Online Application Process
The LiveText online application process for admission to the SOE is required of all students applying for fall 2007 admission and thereafter. The online application process replaces the stage II portfolio admission process that was eliminated when the LiveText electronic portfolio requirement was adopted.
All students must apply for admission to the SOE no later than the semester before they are scheduled to enroll in level II coursework, including all teaching methodology courses. Application for admission will be accepted according to the following deadlines:
- March 1 for eligibility to register in spring for fall level II courses
- August 1 for eligibility to register in August for fall level II courses
- November 1 for eligibility to register for spring level II courses
- March 1 for eligibility to register for summer level II courses
A passing score on the Illinois Certification Testing System (ICTS) basic skills within the previous four years (certification test dates, registration materials, study guides, and a practice diagnostic ICTS basic skills test are available at www.icts.nesinc.com)
A cumulative SXU grade-point average of 2.5 or above
The following pre-education coursework, completed with grades of "C" or above at SXU or at a transfer institution:
- ENGL 101 and 102
- COMM 101
- College level mathematics (3 credit hours)
- Biological or physical science with a lab (3 or 4 credit hours)
- Six credit hours in HIST 103, HIST 104, POLSC 101, SOCSC 101, PSYCH 101, or a health & physical development elective
Coursework in the Major
The following coursework in the major, completed with grades of "C" or above at SXU or at a transfer institution:
- EDU 300 (Note: A $60 background check fee will be implemented for students enrolled in EDU 300, effective spring 2011)
- Early childhood and elementary education majors: 6 credit hours in professional education
- All secondary, K-12 music, and K-12 foreign language and/or foreign language Spanish majors: 12 credit hours in the teaching major (at least 3 credit hours at SXU)
Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)
Authorization for the Office of Teacher Education and Certification to conduct the CBI during the first education course at SXU. Students who have not submitted the CBI authorization form and paid the required fee before applying for admission to the SOE can obtain the form and pay the fee in the Office of Teacher Education and Certification (G-200).
A 500 word essay submitted at the time of application.
Students who apply according to the established deadlines will receive a decision letter in the mail from the Office of Teacher Education and Certification and an official updated checklist identifying the coursework completed and the requirements to complete prior to student teaching. If a student has not met all admission requirements and has not been approved for admission to the School of Education by the established deadline, enrollment in level II coursework will not be permitted.
To access the online application and the essay template, click on the links below: