The SXU Value
What Makes Saint Xavier University a Good Investment?
Saint Xavier University focuses not only on programs and activities that contribute to intellectual advancement, but also on endeavors that generate economic development. The lives of our students and alumni are improved through higher wage earnings and a lifetime of better job opportunities. We especially emphasize the importance of internships, partnerships and community-based learning as necessary to our students’ futures.
- According to Saint Xavier’s First Destination Survey of the class of 2010-2011, approximately 85 percent of those students who graduated with bachelor’s degrees were employed professionally or were attending graduate school. One in every five of the graduates had completed an internship, and 70 percent said that an internship led to a job. Those employed reported annual salaries ranging from $30,000-$50,000.
- The Career Services staff teach students the skills they need to conduct successful job searches, including basic decision-making skills, self-exploration, use of social media and professional networking and evaluation of job offers.
- The Career Services staff also expose students to University partnerships and contacts – across all disciplines – with profit and nonprofit organizations in the Chicago area and just about anywhere else Saint Xavier alumni land.
- Starting with fall semester 2013, all incoming freshmen will be required to take at least one community-based learning course before graduation. Sixteen courses across all disciplines have already been redesigned to include a CBL component.
- The Career Services staff is developing a database to inventory how many University partnerships are internship-focused.