SXU and Civic Engagement
Saint Xavier University does more than just educate students. SXU aspires to be a leading influence as an educational, economic, cultural and spiritual anchor in Chicago and the surrounding communities it serves. SXU contributes to the economic vitality of the city and region through wages and payroll expenditures, its purchases of goods and services from companies based in Illinois, and its investments in University construction.
- Direct University spending over the past three years approached $223 million.
- The current fiscal year (2013) budget is more than $74 million.
- It is estimated that the University 2013 budget will generate more than $192 million in total economic impact to Illinois, approximately 94 percent of which is local.
- SXU generates $148 million in tax revenue for Illinois.
- The more than 28,000 alumni who live in Illinois generate $1.6 million annually in additional economic impact.
- With 788 employees, Saint Xavier is one of the largest employers in the regions. For every one job that Saint Xavier sustains, 1.5 jobs result for Illinois.
The economic impact of Saint Xavier is far-reaching in its individual and social components. Educational opportunities, community service, cultivation of the arts, generation of economic activity -- these are the continuing and progressive benefits of a Saint Xavier presence in the region and state.