Athlete Spotlight: Shane Zackery
"[Zackery] has a tremendous work ethic and, when you combine that with his skill level, you have one of the best receivers in small college football. However, what makes me the most proud about Shane is what he has accomplished in the classroom and the type of person he is.… He is a dream to coach."
-- Coach Mike Feminis
Shane Zackery, a Saint Xavier University senior, will be graduating in May 2013 with a degree in business management. Wide receiver and captain of the football team in 2012, Zackery has lettered in football in 2009, 2010 and 2011, being a part of the winning 2011 NAIA championship team. His accomplishments extend from the field to the classroom, with a 3.7 GPA and ambitions to obtain a master's degree in business administration.
Zackery is also a leader in community service, helping to coordinate the football team for service at the annual SXU "Service Day" and volunteering to host free football clinics for young, underprivileged children at the Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Chicago. He has visited an elementary school and spoken to classrooms in Rome, Ga., during the trip to the NAIA National Championship in December 2011. He also has volunteered time and service at his hometown church, Providence Baptist Church, with vacation bible school in the summer.
- 3.7 GPA
- 2011 and 2012 Capital One Academic All-America College
- Division First Team
- 2011 and 2012 Daktronics NAIA Scholar-Athlete
- 2011 and 2012 Mid-States Football Association (MSFA) All-Academic
- 2012 National Football Foundation (NFF) National
- Scholar-Athlete Finalist
- 2012 Beyond Sports Network Preseason All-American First Team
- 2012 team captain
- No. 9 all-time at SXU in career touchdowns (27)
- 203 receiving yards and three touchdowns on nine receptions in first round postseason win over No. 13 Bethel University (TN), 51-13, and NAIA Outstanding Offensive Player of the Game
- 2011 and 2012 Mid-States Football Association (MSFA) All-Mideast League First Team
- No. 2 in nation (NAIA) with 95 receptions
- No. 3 in the NAIA with 1,208 yards
- No. 4 in NAIA in receiving touchdowns (18)
- Nine receptions for 78 yards and a touchdown in the 2011 NAIA championship game in Rome, Ga., and SXU’s 2011 Outstanding Offensive Skilled Player Award
Download the printer-friendly spotlight featuring Shane Zackery (PDF).