Friends of Uncle Mike Scholarship
About the Scholarship
Friends of Uncle Mike, Inc. and Saint Xavier University announce a scholarship opportunity:
Friends of Uncle Mike, Inc. is a charitable, non-profit organization formed in memory of Mike Lynch. Its founding was initiated to emulate his example and lifestyle in spending time and communicating with the youth of today. As a resident of the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago, he was well-known as a neighbor a young person could sit down with and discuss the challenges presented in an ever-changing environment. These "big brother" conversations ranged from education to family crisis to street gangs to economic difficulties. At his passing, it was determined that his dream of assisting young people should come to fruition. The "Friends of Uncle Mike" adhere to the following statement of their mission: to assist the needy, less fortunate of today regardless of race, color, or creed, both economically and educationally and to provide them the opportunity to enrich their goals in becoming a successful part of society.
The Friends of Uncle Mike and Saint Xavier University seek to foster and encourage the development of nurses and elementary school teachers as a memorial to Uncle Mike.
Application materials (application, essay and two letters of recommendation) must be received by the School of Education by the set deadline, for consideration for the following academic year.
Friends of Uncle Mike Education Scholarship is worth up to $5,000 annually and may be renewed.
- Applicants must complete the application form (PDF). Complete applications will include the application form, the essay and two letters of recommendation. Only complete applications will be reviewed.
- Sophomore or junior undergraduate elementary education student.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Applicants must submit an essay (one- to two-page, double spaced) and two letters of recommendation. Essay topic: Why have you chosen education as a major and how do you plan to help your fellow human beings with your education? How will your career choice reflect Uncle Mike's values of respect, compassion, service and learning for life?
- Additionally, candidates may be required to interview with the Friends of Uncle Mike, Inc. scholarship committee.
Please submit to:
Friends of Uncle Mike Scholarship Committee
School of Education
Saint Xavier University
3700 W. 103rd St.
Chicago, IL 60655