The Edwin J. Keene Scholarship in Mathematics
Established in 1999 by Dr. Carol A. Keene '61 in honor of her father, Edwin J. Keene, this scholarship will be awarded to a student enrolled in the Saint Xavier University Department of Mathematics.
Criteria have been determined by the donor and the department chair as follows:
- Awarded to a student with a declared major in Mathematics (Math) or Mathematics with Secondary Education (Math/SED).
- Consistent attendance at all mathematics classes.
- Grades: A minimum GPA of 3.0 per semester in all mathematics classes and a minimum GPA of 3.0 per semester in all other University classes.
- No withdrawals from any mathematics classes without written consent from the Mathematics Department advisor and the Mathematics Department Chair.
- Must maintain and complete a full-time academic load: minimum 12 credit hours per semester with the GPA obligations listed above.
The Edwin J. Keene Mathematics Scholarship will be awarded to an entering freshman and will be granted based upon review by a committee of Mathematics faculty members. The applicant must have an ACT mathematics subscore of 27 or a comparable mathematics SAT score, 4 years of high school mathematics with a GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in the mathematics classes and an overall high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Interested students should submit a letter of application stating their interests and goals in mathematics along with recommendation letters from two high school teachers to the Mathematics Department at Saint Xavier University.
A Keene Mathematics Scholarship recipient will be eligible to renew the scholarship during his/her college career by maintaining a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all mathematics classes and other University classes. If the recipient changes their major from Math or Math/SED, they shall forfeit the scholarship.