Frequently Asked Questions About Tutoring Services
Tutoring services at the Learning Center are absolutely free of charge for currently enrolled SXU students. We offer tutoring in writing and other subjects. The Learning Center does not offer tutoring services to the public.
A half hour to an hour.
Writing tutoring sessions are scheduled in half hour increments. The Learning Center recommends a half hour appointment for a 1-4 page paper and an hour appointment for a 5-8 page paper. For papers longer than 8 pages, we recommend making an hour appointment and then, with the tutor, determine if an additional appointment will be necessary. Supplemental Instruction or group tutoring is at a minimum for an hour and does not require students to make an appointment.
It depends on the subject matter with which you wish to receive tutoring assistance. For writing tutoring sessions, we strongly encourage you to make an appointment, as there is not a guarantee that one will be available if you are dropping by. Our office utilizes a system called WCOnline to schedule writing tutoring appointments. Prior to scheduling your first appointment, you will need to create an account. Once an account has been created, you can make, change or cancel your writing tutoring appointment 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
However, if you are attending a tutoring session in any other subject matter, those sessions are scheduled. To see if we are offering sessions in the subject needed, please stop by the Learning Center office (L-108) or check the website for the latest schedules. For these sessions, there is no appointment necessary.
How do I create an account on WCOnline, the Learning Center’s writing appointment online scheduling system?
- Log into Self-Service.
- Then under the Resources/Information/Student Forms box, click on the WCOnline link.
- To create an account, please click on “Click here to register.” A pop-up dialogue box will appear.
- Fill in all of the required fields. You must enter your SXU email address and not a personal email address in the email address field.
- After you complete your profile, click “Register” on the bottom of the page to save your profile.
- After your profile has been saved, please log back into your account.
- Hover over the ‘Welcome, Your Name (i.e. Katie)’ and select "Edit Email Preferences."
- We suggest setting all of the "Email me" settings to "Yes."
- If you use Microsoft Outlook, Mac iCal or Google Calendar to track your appointments, we suggest you change the "Include iCal link" setting to "Yes."
- Now you have successfully set up an account and can schedule your own writing tutoring appointments with ease!
- If you have any questions, please stop by the LCDS office in WAC L-108 or call us at 773-298-3956.
Consider bringing anything that might be helpful to you and the tutor when working together. This may include your textbook, the syllabus, description of the assignment, any work you have completed for the assignment so far. Therefore, for a writing tutoring session, you should bring a hard copy of your paper and a copy of the assignment and rubric.
Anyone can use the services at the Learning Center. In fact, a lot of our regular students are strong students. Any student can benefit from working through his or her ideas with the help of someone else, no matter how proficient the student is at a particular subject. For instance, even the best writers have reviewers and editors to help make their books better. Therefore, if you are struggling in a course and need some help, stop by. We are here to help everyone.
That's up to you!
This depends on what you are working on and where you are in your process. Writing tutors spend a lot of their time working with students on evaluating the ideas as well as the strengths and weaknesses of the provided essay. Subject area tutors help clarify ideas for students and assist students as they work through problems. Each tutoring session is different, so come prepared with ideas about what you need to work on and how the tutor can help you.
The only tutor who works with my subject area tutors for two hours when I am in class. What can I do to get help in this subject?
We'll try to help!
Although our content area tutors have scheduled tutoring times, they can also schedule additional sessions by appointment. Please stop by our office and we will contact the tutor to see if they are available at additional times.
Sign up for the waiting list.
If the tutoring schedule is completely booked, you may place yourself on the waiting list within WCOnline. Log into your WCOnline account and look for the date of which you would like your appointment. To the left of the date and day, there is a clock. Click on the clock and fill in the required form. Depending on your preferences, the system will either email or text you when your preferred time becomes available. However, please note that you will need to log into WCOnline to make the new appointment.
Possible tutoring suspension.
No-shows are problematic because they limit the tutoring opportunity for other potential clients. In order to serve as many students as possible, the Learning Center keeps records of students who cancel at the last minute and/or do not keep their appointments. Repeated violations of the policy will result in suspension of tutoring privileges. Below is the Learning Center's Cancellation/No-Show policy:
- 3 No-Shows = Suspension on the use of WCOnline and a meeting to discuss this policy and possible reinstatement with the assistant director of the Learning Center and Disability Services.