How to Become a Peer Tutor
Each semester, the Learning Center hires new peer tutors to fill vacant positions or to focus on new academic areas. To be considered for employment as a Learning Center peer tutor, students must:
- Demonstrate significant knowledge in the subject matter and advanced communications skills confirmed by two faculty recommendations.
- Be a current Saint Xavier University (sophomore, junior or senior) student, with a 3.2 GPA, and complete the course(s) in which he/she wishes to tutor earning a B or better. (A grade of "A" is preferred).
- Possess analytical and advanced communication skills in order to evaluate and articulate appropriate suggestions for peers' improvement.
- Be able to work with their peers in a manner that is encouraging and which fosters confidence and enthusiasm to increase knowledge of the subject matter.
- Be friendly; approachable; patient; maintain a positive attitude; exhibit good listening skills; maturity and responsibility.
- Be trustworthy, reliable, detail-oriented and maintain confidentiality.
- Be able to work independently and to take initiative in fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal skills and ease in relating to people from varying educational, cultural, and social backgrounds with various levels of skills and abilities.
If interested, please visit Cougar Jobs to apply.