School of Education Student Honor Societies
Kappa Delta Pi
Sigma Theta Chapter
The purpose of Kappa Delta Pi, the International Honor Society in Education, is to promote excellence in and recognize outstanding contributions to education.
It shall endeavor to maintain a high degree of professional fellowship among its members, quicken professional growth and honor achievement in educational work.
- Undergraduates should have attained at least junior status with at least 12 credit hours of professional education courses completed
- Graduate students should have completed 12 credit hours of their program
- A grade-point average of at least 3.5, based on work done at Saint Xavier University
- Demonstration of worthy educational ideals and desirable personal qualities
Students are invited to apply based on grade-point average, but must submit evidence of their educational accomplishments and be approved by the faculty of the School of Education.
Alpha Upsilon Alpha
The purposes of Alpha Upsilon Alpha, the Honor Society of the International Reading Association, are to recognize and encourage scholarship, leadership and service in the field of reading. It stimulates the interest in and understanding of research within the field of reading and in related areas.
Membership in Alpha Upsilon Alpha is based upon character and the academic and professional attainment of candidates.
- Election shall be conducted by the active members of the society
- All members of the society must be members in good standing of the International Reading Association
- Candidate must be a major in the field of reading and be recommended by a reading faculty member in the institution
- Candidate should have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours in reading at the graduate level
- Candidate should have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 GPA, in addition to a 3.5 GPA in their field of concentration