Saint Xavier University Mary's Circle

Graduate Programs FAQs

Elementary Education Program FAQs

Read some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Elementary Education Program at Saint Xavier University.

Who is eligible to apply to the program?

Any individual with a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education.

What if I teach at a private CPS school?

You may use your classroom for a portion of your field experiences and student teaching.

What is a cohort?

At Saint Xavier University's Education Department a cohort group is a group of graduate students who take a sequence of courses leading to a degree together.

Where do I do my field experiences?

At a site designated by SXU's Education Department. If you work at a school, you might use your school for a portion of your field experiences.

What if I leave my cohort and later decide to rejoin?

If you leave your cohort due to unforeseeable circumstances and inform your advisor, you may rejoin your cohort or join another cohort when the sequence of courses allow for you to join. You might have to pay a new rate of tuition if you have to join a different group.

How do I apply for the Type 03 certificate?

Once you complete the required coursework and have passed all the state test(s), you must attend a certification workshop and contact the Office of Teacher Education and Certification ( or 773-298-3971) who will forward the application form to you. Complete the forms online and return them in order to be referred for entitlement (certification).

How many state tests are required for the Type 3 elementary certificate?

Three tests, stated below under a, b, &c.

a. One of the following tests must be completed within the first academic year enrolled in the program or must have been completed within 10 years prior to full admission:

1. Illinois Test of Basic Skills (ITBS #96 or #300) or Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP #400), or

2. ACT plus Writing with a score of 22 or above, and a combined English/Writing score of 19 or higher, or

3. SAT (mathematics and critical thinking) with a minimum score of 1030.

b. The Content Area Test (#110)

c. APT 188

What if I do not want to receive my master's degree because it reduces my chances of finding a job?

Having a master's degree will not be a disadvantage for hiring an individual, but you may apply for jobs while you are student teaching and continue your education toward the completion of the degree.

What if I work during the day?

All our cohort classes meet in the evening, but you have to be prepared to do your field experiences during the day (8 a.m. to 3 p.m.) when schools are in session.

What if I am already a certified teacher?

You will take the coursework along with the group but do a practicum instead of a student teaching.

Is student teaching in summer a possibility?


What is the cost of each course?

For information about the cost of this program, please contact Office of the Bursar at or 773-298-3046.

How do I sign up for the state tests?

You can apply online at