Margaret (Meg) Kelly Carroll, Ed.D.
Area of Specialization
Special Education, Instructional Methods
Margaret (Meg) Kelly Carroll, Ed.D., is a professor of education at Saint Xavier University, teaching courses in special education and instructional methods. Meg earned her Ed.D. in curriculum and instruction at Loyola University of Chicago with minors in special education, reading, higher education, and philosophy of education. With a master's degree in learning disabilities from Chicago State University and a bachelor's degree in elementary education and special education from University of Illinois in Urbana, she has published five books and more than 25 articles. A frequent conference (over 150) and staff development (over 1,000) presenter, Meg also acts as a consultant for several Chicago area public and private elementary, middle and high schools. She is a board member and newsletter editor for the Learning Disabilities Association of Illinois and is on the board of Our Lady of Tepeyac High School in Little Village.
- Sample Teacher Presentations:
- Common core standards in English language arts and math: What to expect;
- Diagnoses that influence behavior: What to do;
- Transition to college and study tips for students with disabilities;
- READY, Set, go! Test preparation;
- Curriculum planning for students with intellectual disabilities;
- Autism and families;
- Setting Language Goals AND Content Goals for Lessons.
- EDGSP 520: Characteristics of Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 522: Adaptations and Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 524: Diagnostic Assessment for Educational Decision-making
- EDGSP 525: Methods of Teaching Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 526: Practicum: Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 530: Student Teaching: Students with Disabilities
- EDGSP 531: Behavior Management
- EDGSP 532: Individualized Positive Behavior Support Plans
- EDGIP 459: Methods, Curriculum and Philosophy of Middle School
- EDGSP 413: Survey of Students with Exceptionalities
- EDU 314: Signing Exact English
- EDU 316: Advanced Signing Exact English
Carroll, M. K. (2011). Fun and games in higher education. Eastern Education Journal, 40(1), 23-32.
Bell, D. L., & Carroll, M. K. (2008). Storytelling in teacher education: Gaining insights and meeting standards through critical thinking. Illinois Schools Journal. 87(1), 59-74.
Carroll, M. K. (2007). Literacy failure case studies: What is holding them back? The International Journal of the Book, 4(3), 67-72.
Avgerinou, M.D., Carroll Kelly M., Hanlon, K., & Spelman, M. (2005). Blended pedagogy research: Pathways for developing problem-solving reflective practitioners. In M. Simonson, & M. Crawford (Eds) 28th Annual Proceedings: Selected Papers Presented at the 2005 Annual Convention of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (pp 18-28). Volume 1: Research and Development.
Carroll, M. K. (2004). Trends in teacher preparation for teaching students with learning disabilities. In S. Burkhart, F. Obiakor, & A. Rotatori (Eds.) Advances in special education (Vol. 16):Current perspectives on learning disabilities. Oxford, UK: Elsevier.
Sam Kirk Educator of the Year Award, Learning Disabilities Association, 2/12.
Excellence in Teaching Award, Illinois Teacher Education Division of Council for Exceptional Children, 10/11
¡Creemos! (We Believe) Award, Our Lady of Tepeyac High School, 4/09
Who’s Who in American Education, 2007-2008
Who’s Who of American Women, 2007