Associate Professor of Education and Program Leader of the Teaching and Leadership Program
Area of Specialization
Adult Education, Leadership, Teacher Professional Development, Parental involvement and Head Start/Early Head Start Program Leadership.
Earl Emanuel Thomas was born and raised in Kansas City, Mo. He earned a B.A. in psychology/sociology and an M.A. in adult education all from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He earned an Ed.D. in adult education, Kansas State University-Manhattan, Kan. His areas of specialization are adult education, leadership, teacher professional development, parental involvement and early childhood education leadership in Head Start/Early Head Start Programs.
Prior to Dr. Thomas becoming a faculty member at Saint Xavier, he spent time working for the federal government in the Department of Health and Human Services-Administration for Children and Families Kansas City Regional Office of Head Start. There he served as Early Head Start Program Specialist and the director of training and technical assistance. His previous experiences include serving as the associate director for Project EAGLE Early Head Start Program at the University of Kansas Medical Center. Also, he has served as teacher and supervisor for the Kansas City Missouri School District Adult Basic Education Program. Dr. Thomas has additional experiences working in social service programs and currently provides consulting and technical assistance to nonprofit agencies and schools.
Dr. Thomas’s current research interests focus on the professional development of teachers and staff working in PreK-12 educational settings and higher education’s role in serving the needs of adult learners.
- EDGAS 520: Administrative Issues Teaching Diverse Populations
- EDGTL: Foundations of Teacher Leadership
- EDGTL 523: Introduction to Research
- EDGTL 529: Teacher Leadership in Action
- EDGTL 532: Action Research Project I
- EDGTL 533: Action Research Project II
- EDUG 507: Advanced Educational Psychology
- EDU 202: Educational Psychology
- EDUG 513: Educational Research Design
- EDUG 513: Educational Research Design and Development
- Nationally Recognized, 2006-2007, Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers