Mathematics is an integral part of a liberal arts education and is the foundation for many areas of study. The Mathematics Department, in advancing the vision of the University, performs different roles in fulfilling its mission to discover and communicate mathematical knowledge. The Mathematics Department faculty are dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship, innovative activities, and professional and community service. The Department is committed to the following goals:
- Prepare mathematics students for leading roles in business, computer science, actuarial science, industry, government, and teaching or for graduate programs by offering a full range of undergraduate courses that build a strong foundation in the mathematical methods.
- Create challenging general education and service courses that cultivate critical thinking, effective communication, and collaboration to ensure students acquire the quantitative methods needed in their chosen field of study.
- Develop students’ analytical skills, creative problem-solving approaches, and the ability to logically communicate complex ideas which in turn will foster lifelong learning and application to their field of endeavor.
- Engage students in significant independent research experiences and explore interdisciplinary applications of mathematics.
- Provide a supportive learning environment in which students can develop to their maximum potential.
- Employ state of the art educational technologies in the teaching and learning of mathematics.
- Uphold the teacher-student relationship tenets of mutual respect, integrity, justice and fairness.