Welcome to the Mathematics Department
The Mathematics Department at SXU strives to build a strong sense of community among faculty and undergraduate students in exploring the beauty and importance of mathematics.
Our faculty members are dedicated to excellence in teaching and scholarship. The broad range of faculty research interests in mathematics and mathematics education includes: abstract algebra, applied mathematics, solitary waves theory, developmental mathematics, differential geometry, discrete mathematics, history of mathematics, numerical analysis, probability and statistics, representation theory of finite dimensional algebras, mathematical knowledge for teaching, and processes by which mathematics teachers incorporate technology into their teaching.
All math courses are taught at the Chicago campus where students can enjoy small classes with approachable and caring faculty. Most students enroll in an average of five courses per semester to stay on a four-year track.
- Campus Location
- Length of Program
- 4 years
- Courses per Semester
- Average of 5 courses
- Total Number of Courses
- 42 courses
Why Study Mathematics or Mathematics with Secondary Education at SXU?
- Broad range of advanced elective courses offered in applied and pure mathematics.
- Nationally accredited and recognized mathematics teacher preparation program.
- Faculty who are committed to a cutting-edge pedagogical and educational technology focus to enhance students' understanding of mathematical concepts and develop mathematical skills by using iPads, MyMathLab, MyStatLab, WebAssign, Minitab, StatCrunch, Graphing Calculators, Geometer's Sketchpad, GeoGebra, Maple, and 3D printing in the classroom.
- Learning that goes beyond the classroom. One-to-one mentorship in the Senior Seminar capstone project. Each semester, seniors present their research projects at a symposium attended by students, faculty, family and friends.
- Opportunity to work as a mathematics tutor in the Mathematics Lab.
- Opportunities for fun and learning with peers through the Archimedeans Math Club which sponsors math game day, Pi Day, math movie night and career related events.
- Join the SXU math team in the annual Associated Colleges of the Chicago Area (ACCA) calculus competition.
Programs of Study
The Department of Mathematics offers a range of programs that fit the needs of not only mathematics majors but also the needs of general education students and candidates for teacher licensure. The department offers majors in mathematics, actuarial science and mathematics with secondary education. It also offers a minor in mathematics.
The best way to learn more about our programs is to come visit our department. Sit in on a class. Meet our faculty, current students and members of the Archimedeans Math Club. See our classrooms, computer labs and our beautiful campus.
To arrange a visit, please contact:
Dr. Ahmad Mojiri
Chair, Mathematics Department
Please visit Admission's Apply Now page to find the appropriate application or request more information.