Welcome to the Mathematics Department
Math Department Events
Senior Seminar Presentations
Saturday, November 19, 2016
Friday, November 11, 2016
Six MATH and MATH/SED students presented their research on a wide array of interesting, advanced mathematical concepts:
About Our Department
The Mathematics Department at SXU strives to build a strong sense of community among faculty and undergraduate students in exploring the beauty and importance of mathematics.
Our faculty members are dedicated to excellence in teaching and scholarship. The broad range of faculty research interests in mathematics and mathematics education includes: abstract algebra, applied mathematics, solitary waves theory, developmental mathematics, differential geometry, discrete mathematics, history of mathematics, numerical analysis, probability and statistics, representation theory of finite dimensional algebras, mathematical knowledge for teaching, and processes by which mathematics teachers incorporate technology into their teaching.
Our mathematics majors qualify for careers in business, industry, government and teaching. Our graduates are employed as actuaries, statisticians and in other positions at firms such as Allstate, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, Fidelity, Redbox, Spencer Stuart and with the U.S. federal government. Graduates are pursuing and have pursued advanced degrees at DePaul University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Ohio State, Loyola University Chicago, Western Illinois University, Midwestern University and others.
Why Study Mathematics or Mathematics with Secondary Education at SXU?
- Small classes with approachable and caring faculty.
- Broad range of advanced elective courses offered in applied and pure mathematics.
- Nationally accredited and recognized mathematics teacher preparation program.
- Faculty who are committed to a cutting-edge pedagogical and educational technology focus to enhance students' understanding of mathematical concepts and develop mathematical skills by using iPads, MyMathLab, MyStatLab, WebAssign, Minitab, StatCrunch, Graphing Calculators, Geometer's Sketchpad, GeoGebra, Maple, and 3D printing in the classroom.
- Learning that goes beyond the classroom. One-to-one mentorship in the Senior Seminar capstone project. Each semester, seniors present their research projects at a symposium attended by students, faculty, family and friends.
- Opportunity to work as a mathematics tutor in the Mathematics Lab.
- Opportunities for fun and learning with peers through the Archimedeans Math Club which sponsors math game day, Pi Day, math movie night and career related events.
- Join the SXU math team in the annual Associated Colleges of the Chicago Area (ACCA) calculus competition.
The best way to learn more about our programs is to come visit our department. Sit in on a class. Meet our faculty, current students and members of the Archimedeans Math Club. See our classrooms, computer labs and our beautiful campus.
To arrange a visit, please contact:
Dr. Ahmad Mojiri
Chair, Mathematics Department