Welcome Week 2013
Welcome Week consists of a series of social, educational and recreational events at the start of the fall semester. Welcome Week takes place the first week of classes every fall semester.
This year Welcome Week begins on Friday, August 23 for first-years (also known as First Day for First-Years), on Saturday, August 24 for all upperclass students, and ends Sunday, September 1. Thank you for attending last fall's events.
We look forward to seeing you all in August!
Thursday, August 22
- New Student Move-In: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Welcome Dinner for Resident Students and Families: 5 - 6:30 p.m., SXU Diner
- Mandatory First-Year Residence Floor Meeting: 7 - 8 p.m., Regina Hall
- New Residence Mixer: 8:30 - 10 p.m., Shannon Center Rec Gym
Friday, August 23
- First Day for First-Years: 8:30 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Saturday, August 24
- Set Up Shop: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., Regina Hall
- Catch the SXU Shuttle in front of Regina Hall to go to Target or Chicago Ridge Mall! Schedule for Target is as follows: Run 1 - Depart SXU at 10 a.m. and Target at 11:30 a.m.; Run 2 - Depart SXU at 12:00 p.m. and Target at 1:30 p.m.; Run 3 - Depart SXU at 2 p.m. and Target at 3:30 p.m. Schedule for Chicago Ridge Mall is as follows: Depart SXU at 12:45 p.m. and Chicago Ridge Mall at 4 p.m.
- Rainbow Cone: 4:30 - 6 p.m., Regina Hall
- Catch the shuttle to grab some ice cream with new friends!
- Sips 'N Songs: 7 - 9 p.m., Starbucks Patio
- Come enjoy the music of a local band while you sample some Starbucks drinks and treats!
Sunday, August 25
- Block Party & BBQ: Noon - 4:30 p.m., Schmitt Quad
- Bounce on some inflatable games and enjoy a BBQ!
- Dessert on the Quad: 6 - 7:30 p.m., Smith -Morris Quad
Have a sweet tooth!? Come on out to the Smith-Morris Quad for dessert after the BBQ!
- Sunday Mass: 8 p.m., Smith-Morris Quad (Rain location: McDonough Chapel)
Everyone is welcome to celebrate Mass outside in the Smith-Morris Quad. Mass will be celebrated in the McDonough Chapel in the event of rain. A social sponsored by University Ministry will follow.
Monday, August 26
- Commuter Welcome Station: 8:30 - 10:30 a.m., McGuire Hall Lobby
- The Saint Xavier Council (SXC) would like to invite all commuter students to kick off the new semester!
- Henna Artist: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., SXU Diner
- Bowling: 10 p.m. - 12 a.m., Arena Lanes
- SXU Shuttle provided. Students must sign up in Campus Life (L-103)
Tuesday, August 27
- Caricature Artist: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., SXU Diner
- Back-to-School Workout Party: 7 - 8:30 p.m., Shannon Center
Get a taste of all the popular group exercise classes in the ShannonCenter! Students can enjoy 15-minute segments of cardio kickbox, zumba, boot camp and yoga. Students will also be able to enter a raffle. Come dressed to exercise and be ready to have fun! Water will be provided. Please bring a floor mat or beach towel to be used during floor exercises.
- SXU Presents: The Great Gatsby, 9 p.m., Schmitt Quad
Join SXC out on the quad for a movie under the stars! You bring the blanket, we will provide the popcorn!
Wednesday, August 27
- Student Involvement Fair: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., Smith-Morris Quad (Rain location: Student Lounge L-105)
Interested in getting involved on campus? Come to the Student Involvement Fair and see all that SXU has to offer!
- Vegas Night: 8 - 11 p.m., Schmitt Quad
See how SXU does Vegas. Test your luck at a variety of casino games, sip mock tails and dance the night away. Students will have the chance to win a variety or prizes.
Thursday, August 28
- Summer Cool Down: 3 - 6 p.m., Smith-Morris Quad
- Come on out and beat the heat.
- SXC Presents: Thursday Takeover, 7 - 9 p.m., Gilhooley's
Friday, September 6
- Foam Party with SXC: 8 - 11 p.m., Starbucks Patio
- You must have proper attire--no swimsuits and you must wear shoes. Outside beverages are not allowed.
Saturday, September 7
- Service Trip: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.,
- Details to come!