Upcoming Wellness Events
Save the date for these upcoming events at the Shannon Center!
BIGGEST LOSER Fitness Competition
Starts on Monday, January 27, 2014
|SXU Faculty and Staff||$25|
|SXU Alumni/Shannon Center Members||$25|
|Community - Family and Friends||$30|
What is the BIGGEST LOSER Challenge?
The Shannon Center’s BIGGEST LOSER Challenge is an 8-week fitness challenge designed to help participants:
1. Lose weight
2. Make healthy lifestyle changes
3. Have fun & get fit
4. Maintain weight loss
Participants will do an initial weigh-in at the Shannon Center at the beginning of the BIGGEST LOSER challenge followed by weekly weigh-ins that are done at home and will be recorded online. The final weigh-in will take place at the Shannon Center and will also be recorded online. Additional information will also be provided to participants on the Shannon Center’s BIGGEST LOSER website.
Who will be the BIGGEST LOSER?
- The BIGGEST LOSER will be determined by the greatest percentage of body weight lost at the end of the 8-week challenge.
- The top five participants with the greatest percentage of body weight loss will be named BIGGEST LOSER winners. The winners will receive cash prizes:
- 1st place winner receives $200
- 2nd place winner receives $150
- 3rd place winner receives $100
- 4th and 5th place winners receive $50
See RULES (PDF) for more details!
Register and pay at the Shannon Center Front Desk. Contact Kristy Allen at 773-298-3586 or email@example.com with any questions.
Nutrition Weight Loss Program
The 8-Week Nutrition Weight Loss Program is taught by registered dietitian, certified personal trainer and Shannon Center nutritionist, Kelly Devine Rickert, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN. This program will combine classroom learning with online lessons.
Starts on Wednesday, January 29, 2014
|SXU Alumni/Shannon Center Members||$75.00|
|Community - Family and Friends||$90.00|
How it works:
- Once registered, you will have access to the nutrition class website.
- There will be four classroom lessons provided at the Shannon Center:
- Wednesday, January 29 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 5 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 19 at 6:30 p.m.
- NEW THIS CLASS! Kelly will take the class on a grocery store tour on Wednesday, February 19 at 6:30 p.m. at Pete's Fresh Market.
- Weigh-in every Wednesday and submit weight online.
- Instructional video of the lesson of the week will be posted online each Wednesday.
- PowerPoint lessons, handouts, a meal plan and food journals will be provided.
- All materials for the class will be posted online so access to the Internet is mandatory.
Class size is limited and will close when full. Register at the Shannon Center Front Desk or print a registration form and mail it in to the Shannon Center.
Contact Kristy Allen at 773-298-3586 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
SXU 45-Minute Indoor Duathlon
Sunday, February 16, 2014
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
The Indoor Duathlon is a 45-minute race that takes place in the Shannon Center on the indoor track. It consists of a 15-minute run/walk on the track, then 15 minutes on a stationary bike, followed by another 15-minute run/walk. The goal is to try to complete as many laps on the track or miles on the bike as you can in the given time frame. Try something different and fun – sign up to compete in the Indoor Duathlon!
|SXU Alumni/Shannon Center Members||$20|
|Community Family and Friends age 18 or older||$25|
If you have questions or would like to sign up, please contact Jennifer Quinlan at 773-298-3778.
SXU Annual Health Fair
Friday, March 21, 2014
8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
A wide variety of health information, samples and screenings will be available for all Health Fair attendees. The Fair is free and open to the public.
See the Health Fair Vendors and Services flier for more details!
If you have any questions regarding the Health Fair, please contact a manager at 773-298-3592.
6-Week 5K and 10K Running Programs
Meets every Monday and Wednesday for six weeks starting Monday, April 14
6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
This is a great running program for those that would like to start running or those that would like to increase their mileage.There are five running coaches for the 5K and 3 running coaches for the 10K. The goal is to be able to complete a 5K or 10K by the end of the six week program. This program is open to anyone in the community. For more information contact Kristy at 773-298-3586.
|SXU Alumni & Shannon Center Members||$15|
*Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
See the Running Program flier (PDF) for more details.