What is an Internship?
An internship is an opportunity for you to get hands-on experience in a career field of interest and to further develop your professional skills. Doing an internship enables you to connect the knowledge and skills you have gained in the classroom and apply them in a real-world setting.
In addition, internships allow you to:
- Build a career-related work record, which increases your marketability and value to employers after graduation.
- Possibly earn money to offset educational expenses.
- Increase motivation and interest in academic work as you see connections between your jobs and your studies.
- Identify interests and talents, and explore options within your major field.
- Enhance the skills and build a professional network needed for an effective job search.
- Understand the world of work, resulting in a smoother transition from college to the workplace.
- Possibly earn academic credit outside the classroom.