WElcome to THe Mathematics Department
- Senior Seminar
April 18, 2015, 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Location: Fourth Floor Board Room
- Career Night - Exploring Careers in Mathematics
April 23, 2015, 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.
Location: WAC S-115
Come learn what your SXU degree in math can do for you! A panel of SXU alumni working in math related careers will share first-hand experiences, personal stories, and advice about career options. Join fellow math majors and faculty members for this informative event, which will include refreshments! This event is sponsored by the SXU Archimedeans Math Club.
About Our Department
The Mathematics Department at SXU strives to build a strong sense of community among faculty and undergraduate students in exploring the beauty and importance of mathematics.
Our faculty members are dedicated to excellence in teaching and scholarship. The broad range of faculty research interests in mathematics and mathematics education includes: abstract algebra, applied mathematics, solitary waves theory, developmental mathematics, differential geometry, discrete mathematics, history of mathematics, numerical analysis, probability and statistics, representation theory of finite dimensional algebras, mathematical knowledge for teaching, and processes by which mathematics teachers incorporate technology into their teaching.
Mathematics majors qualify for careers in business, industry, government and teaching. Our graduates are employed as actuaries, statisticians and in other positions at firms such as Allstate, Fidelity, Spencer Stuart and with the U.S. federal government. Graduates are pursuing and have pursued advanced degrees at DePaul University, University of Illinois at Chicago, Ohio State, Loyola University Chicago, Western Illinois University, Midwestern University and others.
Why Study Mathematics or Mathematics with Secondary Education at SXU?
- Small professor-to-student ratio with caring faculty.
- Modern technological focus in the discipline, including iPads, MyMathLab, WebAssign, Minitab, Geometer's Sketchpad, GeoGebra, Maple.
- Broad range of practically applicable mathematical topics.
- Broad range of elective courses.
- One-to-one mentorship in the capstone project. Each semester, seniors present their senior seminar research projects at a symposium attended by students, faculty, family and friends.
- Nationally accredited and recognized mathematics teacher preparation program.
- Opportunities to work in the mathematics tutoring program.
- The Archimedeans Math Club sponsors math game day, Pi Day, math movie night and career related events.
- Join the SXU math team in the annual ACCA calculus competition.
The best way to learn more about our programs is to come visit our department. Sit in on a class. Meet our faculty, current students and members of the Archimedeans Math Club. See our classrooms, computer labs and our beautiful campus.
To arrange a visit, please contact:
Dr. Barbara Becker
Chair, Mathematics Department