The School of Nursing offers a four year program of study that leads to a bachelor of science in nursing to pre-licensure and licensed practical nurses. Established in 1935, the Saint Xavier University School of Nursing offered the first accredited baccalaureate program in the state of Illinois. Professional Nursing requires knowledge, competence and compassion. The diversified skills needed for nursing practice demand a strong scientific foundation and liberal education. The School of Nursing at Saint Xavier University has a reputation for excellence and tradition of service to students and the community.The program is open to both freshman and transfer students who meet the University admission requirements.
- The nursing major is 55 credit hours.
- Courses emphasize the art and science of nursing.
- Course work involves small group discussions, seminars, lectures and clinical practice.
- Courses expose students to diverse health care systems and clinical experiences take place with clients of varied ages, circumstances and needs.
- Mentoring courses provide students with the opportunity to form a learning community partnership with a faculty member and a small peer group.
- Academic support services are provided to facilitate student learning and success.
The LPN-BSN option offers licensed practical nurses (LPN) the opportunity to earn a bachelor of science in nursing in a reduced time frame and to qualify for the national council licensure examination for registered nursing (NCLEX-RN). Starting in 1991, the LPN-BSN option is the first such educational opportunity in Illinois for LPNs to earn their BSN in a reduced time frame. It is integrated within the undergraduate nursing curriculum.
The Accelerated BSN (A-BSN) option allows the student with an earned baccalaureate degree to move through the baccalaureate pre-licensure program within a reduced time frame. Students in the A-BSN option begin coursework each May and complete the BSN program in 15 months. Courses are offered only full-time with no breaks between sessions.
If you would like to apply for the A-BSN option, please contact the Saint Xavier University Admissions Office at 844-GOTO-SXU (844-468-6798) to start your application or apply online using the transfer/adult student application.